MATCH REPORT: Bedworth United 0-0 Cambridge City

Bedworth held to a 0-0 stalemate but a controversial penalty incident causes confusion.

The Greenbacks were back at home in the league for the first time since hosting Hinckley LRFC on the 26th August, playing 4 consecutive league games. Despite the constant travels, Bedworth have picked up 3 wins from the 4 away games so were heading into the game with confidence.

Bedworth started the game with high tempo and nearly opened the scoring through an own goal in the opening minutes. Some nice build up play between Parrott and Cox resulted in Cox swinging in a dangerous cross and Lilywhites centre back Taylor Parr headed towards his own goal and a miraculous save from Joe Welch prevented the blushes of Parr.

Greenbacks midfielder Ashley Sammons had a few long range efforts on goal, one attempt from a free kick and the other a 25 yard strike that keeper Welch was comfortable to hold on to.

Bedworth were edging closer to getting the first goal. A lovely ball over the top of defence from Blackmore was brought down brilliant by Burke, and he struck the ball on the half volley and another great save from Welch denied the Bedworth number nine.

Cambridge had their first chance on 14 minutes, Lewis Darlington latched on to some indecisiveness in the Bedworth defence, but his shot was well cleared off the line by Josh Endall.

Momentum had swung Cambridge City’s way and had another good chance not long after. A swift counter attack led to Dan cotton powering his shot just over Sam Lomax’s bar.

On the 30th minute, there was a dramatic five minute period at The Oval. Bedworth conceded a penalty. Niall Rowe had fouled his man and the referee pointed to the spot. What followed was chaos and confusion. Dan Cotton stepped up and the ball appeared to strike the post. However the ref believed the ball had crossed the line and hit the inside of the post (possibly the wheel that helps move the goal) and over the line before the ball bounced out. However, after deliberation with his assistant, the referee changes his mind and the goal was not given! Supporters around the ground had different opinions on if the ball went in or not, all depending on where people were standing!

Half Time- Bedworth United 0-0 Cambridge City

Bedworth started the second half as they started the first. A long ball over the top was chased down by the pacey Kory Burke and he pulled the ball back to Sammons, he shot from the edge of the area. Welch was there to parry out but Molyneux followed in but couldn’t keep his header down.

Cambridge had one of their own chancel on the 65th minute. A cross floated in from right was well meant by Stan Leech but Greenbacks keeper Sam Lomax got down well to his right to push away from danger.

Chances in the second half were few and far between but Cambridge keeper did have to come into action on 81st minute. Murphy drove down the right and whipped in a cross come shot which was tipped over by Welch.

Cambridge had two good chances to win the game late on. Pat Staszewski sent in a deep cross to the back post and substitute Ryan Ingrey headed over from 6 yards.  The final chance of the game fell to Bradley Rolt. He took on a defender and got his shot away, and Lomax was there to push over the top.

Full time- Bedworth United  0 – 0 Cambridge City


Bedworth: Lomax, Cox, L Rowe, Endall (Murphy), N Rowe, Molyneux, Blackmore (Blythe), Burke, Grocott, Sammons (Stone).

Unused subs: Moore, Donaldson.

Attendance: 167