MATCH REPORT: Bedworth United 2-1 Gresley Rovers

Bedworth finally end their winless run at home with a 2-1 victory over Gresley Rovers.

Bedworth could have got off to the perfect start as the boys in green had a goal ruled out after two minutes. The Gresley keeper spilled the ball to the edge of the box and Stone’s shot fell into the path of Star Mayemba but he had tapped in from an offside position.

The Greenbacks started brilliantly in the opening 10 minutes and had a number of chances through Luke Rowe, the best coming from a great whipped cross from Parrott who found the unmarked Rowe but his effort glided just over.

A couple of minutes later and Bedworth had another goal ruled out, Leo Stone was judged to have fouled his marker before heading past Musgrove.

Throughout the game, Stone was causing Gresley problems and nearly opened the scoring. He combined well with Ryan Moore down the right hand side and Stone got his shot away from a tight angle but Musgrove parried away for a corner.

On the 20th minute, The Greenbacks couldn’t believe they hadn’t taken the lead as they had two opportunities to get on the scoresheet. Grocott’s corner was attacked by Parrott but his header crashed against the bar and the follow up effort by Stone deflected off Star Mayemba but was also denied off the bar before Gresley cleared off the line.

But finally, on the 30th minute The Greenbacks took the lead. A good ball over the top from Stone put through Mayemba who cut the ball back and found Grocott who side footed his volley in the bottom corner to make it 1-0.

Gresley responded and had their first chance on the 32nd minute. A long range effort from Martin Smyth but his shot drifted harmlessly wide.

Stone had a great chance to make it 2-0. Reece Blackmore won possession high up and laid it off to Moore, his cross wasn’t dealt with by the Gresley defence and Stone was in the right place to latch on to the loose ball but his shot from 6 yards was straight at the keeper.

Gresley had a huge chance to equalise. A poor pass from Magunda let striker Richard Hanslow run through one on one but Dan Crane did well to stand tall and deny the striker.

HALF TIME: Bedworth United 1-0 Gresley Rovers

The second half started in similar fashion to the first with Bedworth dominating and doubled their lead just two minutes after the restart. A brilliant through ball by Will Grocott found Leo Stone running through on goal. He cut back on his left foot and tucked his shot away in the bottom corner to make it 2-0 and finally got his reward for his attacking threat.

The Moatmen had a glorious chance to half the deficit. A great overlapping run by Barton saw his cross reach striker Hanslow in the six yard box but the cross came off his back and out for a goal kick.

Stone came close to a brace on 57th min. Stone and Grocott linked up well again and it was Grocott who played a killer pass into Stone, he got his shot away but Musgrove tipped his shot onto the post.

However, Gresley pulled one back on the 82nd minute. A looping cross from the right found Albert Lansdowne who climbed highest to head past Dan Crane to make it 2-1 it a nervy last 10 minutes for The Greenbacks.

The Moatmen piled on the pressure and the game became end to end. However, the full time whistle blew and the feeling of relief was felt all over The Oval, as Bedworth record their first home league win of the season. The Greenbacks remain 10th in the league.

Despite the nervy ending, Bedworth controlled the game for large parts and played some some free flowing entertaining football, by far their best home display of the season. Hopefully The Greenbacks can now kick on at home and make The Oval a fortress.

FULL TIME: Bedworth United 2-1 Gresley Rovers

STARTING LINE UP: Crane, Moore, Rowe, Parrott (Blythe), Magunda, Morley (Kyle Burke), Martin, Blackmore, Mayemba (Kory Burke), Grocott, Stone.

Unused subs: Murphy.

Attendance: 194