MATCH REPORT: Bedworth United 0-1 Sutton Coldfield Town

Bedworth struggle at home again as The Greenbacks suffer 1-0 defeat to Sutton Coldfield Town.

The first twenty minutes of the game was one to forget for both sides as neither could find any sort of rhythm or create even a half chance to challenge the keepers.

The first real chance fell to the visitors, a mazy run down the right hand side was crossed in to Sutton Coldfield’s number 9 Leo Brown and his effort was deflected off a Bedworth defender and keeper Sam Lomax was there to deny and push the ball away for a corner.

Bedworth’s first chance was on the 30th minute. Good pressing from Leo stone put Harry Sawyer under pressure and his clearance fell to Grocott on the edge of the box but his shot was high and wide.

Jack Burgess of Sutton Coldfield tried his luck from range but his effort was comfortable for Sam Lomax.

Bedworth came closest to the opener. Leo Stone won a freekick on the left hand side and Grocott stepped up to take. His freekick went past everyone and just evaded the far post and out for a goal kick.

The half ended with the best chance of the game. A nicely lofted through ball from Luke Rowe was latched upon by Kory Burke. He chipped the ball over the keeper and ran onto the ball that was drifting wide, but his shot from a tight angle only found the side netting.

Half Time- Bedworth United 0-0 Sutton Coldfield Town

The second half got off to a more livelier start. The Royals were on the front foot from the start of the second half and Chris Clements drove down the left and beat Ryan Moore. He cut in on his stronger right foot but his shot went wide.

Sutton Coldfield had another chance through their danger man Rhys Hilton. A brilliant slip through ball by substitute Ryan Edmunda put through Hilton and got his shot away under pressure but Lomax got down well to keep it 0-0.

On the 53rd minute, Leo Stone came close through a long range attempt. He cut in from the left and hit his finessed shot but just wide.

However 5 minutes later, The Royals took the lead. A corner floated found the unmarked James Beresford and he headed goalwards and the ball fell to the feet of Alex McKeane who swivelled on the spot and tucked his shot past Lomax to make it 1-0 to the visitors.

Conceding the goal sparked The Greenbacks into life and had a glorious chance to make it 1-1. Corner in from Grocott wasn’t dealt with by The Royals and a goal mouth scramble fell to Magunda who blazed well over from inside the 6 yard box.

Blythe also came close, getting on the end of a long throw and flicked his header goal bound but was tipped over by Jonathan Brown.

The Royals had a golden chance to kill the game off. A quick counter attack led by Ryan Edmunds, he was direct and drove and The Greenbacks defence and slipped in a great pass to the unmarked Alex MckSkeane, who had a lot of time to score but his shot sailed over from 12 yards and failed to get a brace

One of the final chance of the game was a Niall Rowe header in the 90th minute. A volleyed cross from Luke Rowe was flicked on by Magunda to the back post where Niall Rowe found space but  just couldn’t keep his header down.

It wasn’t to be Bedworth’s day as The Greenbacks hit the bar in the final moments. Another corner where Niall Rowe got on the end of and headed across goal where Rich Blythe attacked the header but could only find the top of the crossbar and bounced out.

Despite a better second half, Bedworth struggled in the main to find a creative spark to carve more clear cut chances. Its now three consecutive games where The Greenbacks have failed to get on the scoresheet.

The Greenbacks are in action away at Corby Town next weekend.

Full time- Bedworth United 0–1 Sutton Coldfield Town


Bedworth: Lomax, Moore, L Rowe, Parrott, Magunda, N Rowe, Molyneux (Blythe) , Sammons, Burke(Murphy), Grocott, Stone (Endall).

Unused subs: Blackmore,  Donaldson

Attendance: 205