Bedworth v St Neots match report 2020/21

Bedworth’s travelled down to St Neots on Saturday for their first league game of the season, and it ended up having everything goals, incidents and a red card.

The first half started with both teams showing their attacking intent,  St Neots flashed a cross along Cranes 6 yard box but fortunately for the men in green there was no blue shirt to provide the finishing touch,  Blythe who predicted pre match he was going to score first nearly made his prediction come true when on 2 occassion’s he fired shots narrowly wide.  Both sets of defenders were winning their individual battles with league debutants Barnett and Walton again impressing,  Bedworth on reflection probably had the majority of half chances leading up to half time,  Steele stung the hands of Chadwick (son of ex Manchester United player Luke Chadwick) in the St Neots goal.  with a minute left before half time it was St Neots who broke the deadlock when a low cross in from the Bedworth right was met by Leon Lobjoit from a yard out to prod the ball past Crane.

Half Time Bedworth United 0 – St Neots 1

The second half started with St Neots on the front foot putting numerous crosses into the Bedworth penalty area but the boys in green stood firm and the game started to get a bit niggly with both teams giving away freekicks with Reece Blackmore seeming to be the one who St Neots were targeting more than anyone else. Mitch Piggon won a free kick on the half way line and after a brief confrontation which saw Piggon take a bit of verbals from the St Neots defender it was Piggon who would have the last laugh.  From the resulting free kick parity was restored, The ball was swung in to the St Neots box and eventually found its way out to Blackmore who’s cross was perfect finding Piggon unmarked who lashed the ball home from 12 yards out on the volley leaving Chadwick rooted to the spot.  The excitement wasn’t finished there when Truslove dived into a tackle the St Neots players as one rushed the referee demanding that he sent Truslove off which he duly did.  The reaction saw the Bedworth bench justly upset and a few verbals were exchanged between both benches. Bedworth held firm for the remaining 30 minutes under intense pressure from St Neots with Crane making a great save from a Freekick and Dudley clearing off the line.  Dawson came on to replace goalscorer Piggon and hassled and defended from the front unlucky at times to not create something for the ultimate smash and grab. St Neots had a number of corners in the last 5 minutes but could not make the extra man pay and the game eventually finished up a 1-1 draw.  This result sets us up nicely for an interesting game in the FA Trophy where St Neots have to travel to The OVAL.

Full Time Bedworth United 1 – St Neots Town 1

Team:  Crane, Dudley, Steele (Rowe), Parrott(c), Barnett, Walton, Truslove, Blackmore, Piggon (Dawson), Blythe (John), Mulders

Subs Unused:  King Templeton

Scorer:  Piggon

Man of the Match:  Barnett