Bedworth United v Wantage Report

Bedworth took the trip into Oxfordshire knowing that nothing but 3 points would do against bottom of the table Wantage town.  The Greenbacks made 3 changes to the starting 11 who faced Dunstable with Mitch Piggon starting which saw Alex Troke drop to the bench,  Reece Blackmore came in for Liam Truslove and Ricardo Dudley came in for the ill Dan Preston.

With the conditions of wind and a heavy pitch the game was never going to be a classic passing affair. Bedworth started well having the majority of the early exchanges with Blythe testing McKenzie-Kyle in the Wantage goal early on. Moments later Keen then rounded the keeper but his goal bound effort was cleared off the line by Webster.  Bedworth then uped the tempo even more and looked to play forward at every opportunity Blacmore tried his luck from distance and his shot was just a little to high to bother the Wantage keeper.  Keen had another shot blocked after he met a cross from Rowe.  With all this pressure it looked like Bedworth would surely take the lead but then disaster for the Greenbacks on the half hour mark with Wantages first real meaningful attack on goal they took the lead. When Redragui fired past Crane after the ball fell kindly to him giving the Bedworth keeper no chance. With the Referee stating before the game that his only other trip to the Alfredian stadium was Wantages only other victory this season surely he could not be the omen that they needed to hold on.  For the next 5 minutes after the goal Wantage had their most sustained period of play as Bedworth seemed shocked to go a goal down and Wantage started to believe.  To the credit of the Bedworth lads though they easily weathered the brief storm from Wantage and then went back on the front foot. The Wantage goal was leading a charmed life McKenzie-Kyle even on the floor after making a save saw the followup hit  him in the back and loop over for a corner. It was a moment of Piggon magic 4 minutes before the break that drew Bedworth level when a cross from Rowe was put back across goal by the head of Dudley and in Peter Crouch style Piggon acrobatically with an overhead kick scored the equaliser which was no more than they deserved for their first half dominance.  It was a goal that saw Wantage reach treble figure for goals conceded this season and was a goal fitting to mark any landmark unfortunately for Wantage it is a landmark they would want to forget.  Things though then got better when in first half injury time Piggon this time turned provider when his deep cross was met by the head of Keen at the far post who beat his marker to put the ball firmly past McKenzie-Kyle into the Wantage net to put Bedworth into the lead at the half time break.

Halftime Bedworth United 2 Wantage 1

The second half started in much the same was as the first half finished with Bedworth on the front foot it looked like Bedworth had increased their lead when a shot from Rowe was scooped out by the Wantage keeper straight to Piggon who duly dispatched it into the net but was denied his second and Bedworths third and  by the Linesmans flag. Bedworth did get their third in the 85th minute when Saul failed to control a ball from his keeper Troke pounced on the opportunity and fired the ball into the net to give Bedworth a third.  Bedworth kept pushing forward for the fourth goal but resolute defending from Wantage kept the score respectable. Bedworth continued their 100% run against teams from Oxfordshire this season and took the 3 points back to The Oval.  This could have been one of those banana skin games you get at this time of the year but The Greenbacks navigated it professionally and will look to build again against Welwyn Garden City next Saturday.

Fulltime Bedworth United  3 Wantage Town 1

Team Crane, King (Templeton) Rowe, Parrott, Punter (Tryslove), Dudley, Mulders, Blackmore, Piggon (Troke), Keen, Blythe

Subs unused Albrighton, Sharpe

Scorers Piggon, Keen, Troke

Man of the Match Rich Blythe

Watch all the Highlights below