Bedworth United V Coventry Sphinx Report

Bedworth back to winning ways

Tuesday night saw the visit of Coventry Sphinx to The OVAL.  A pre season game against a local rival is always something to look forward to.

The only change from Saturdays starting 11 was Mark Allbrighton in for the injured Tom Sharpe who failed a pre game fitness test with a tight hamstring that was effecting his mobility.

The first half started in much the same way as the previous 2 games have with Bedworth keeping possession when they have the ball and pressing hard and winning the ball high up the pitch when the lose it. Saying this though the first real chance of the game fell to Sphinx when a ball fed through saw the Sphinx forward attempting to race onto it but Harrison was alert and just outside his box headed the ball away,  But the breakthrough came when Troke, Piggon and Rowe combined well to put Rowe through who buried the ball into the far corner to give Bedworth the lead.  That threesome in and around the box seem to be gelling really well and has caused the defenses we have played against trouble with there interchanging and movement. The first half was really case of Bedworth keeping the ball and looking for the opportunity but the final ball wasn’t on a lot of the time so possession was just kept.

Harrison in the Bedworth goal was very much a spectator for 90% of the first half with Dudley, Parrott and Allbrighton winning everything easily in front of him.

Half time 1 – 0 Bedworth

Half time substitutions saw  Blackmore and Albrighton replaced by Baz Fitzharris and  Caine Keeling – Treasure.  Bedworth again started the half with possession football but again it was just the final ball that was lacking. Sphinx had a headed from six yards out that was well saved by Harrison. The Greens then started to push forward more and more winning quiet a few corners in quick succession from one of these Bedworth doubled their lead. A low corner was fired into the box and Parrott in alien territory that far forward for him, unmarked arrived into the box and met the ball six yards out and calmly put it into the Sphinx net.

This seemed to spur Sphinx on and within 5 minutes they got a goal back when Keeling – Treasure was adjudged to have committed a foul about 2 yards outside the Bedworth box slightly right of centre.  The decision did look a bit harsh from where we were but that’s football.  From the resulting free kick the Sphinx number 9 hit the ball with venom and it just sailed into the far corner of the net past Harrisons outstretched hand.

The thought of Sphinx getting back into the game saw Bedworth go on the offensive again with the addition of Christie and Pryce for Troke and Piggon the fresh legs up front started to cause Sphinx issues with Christie winning numerous headers and flicking on for the ever willing running of Pryce one of these attacks led to another Bedworth corner, it seemed that Sphinx hadn’t learned from before the corner came in from the left and Parrott again unmarked rose in the area to head home his second and The Greenbacks third.

The referee blew his whistle for fulltime on an entertaining game with lots of positives for the Greenbacks.  Bedworth were a bit unlucky to concede but its good to see that we didn’t concede in open play.

We caught up with 2 goal Elliott Parrot after the game for his thoughts on how pre season is going so far.