Bedworth United v Corby Town Report

To Little to Late

Corby travelled to The OVAL knowing that a win would put them top of the league at this early stage of the season. Stu Storer changed things from Saturday with Lewis Chester being given a rest and Luke Rowe back from suspension being included.
Corby started off very quickly within the first 2 minutes when a quickly taken free kick caused chaos in the Bedworth defence with a bit of pinball ending up with Parrott making a goal line clearance, with Corby appealing for handball from the clearance Piggon flicked on well but the ball just alluded the outdstretched foot of Troke. in the first 15 minutes both teams had their chances but it was the final ball that just let both sides down. With Bailey-Nicholls doing well but his pull back was just behind Troke. Westwood for the visitors put a good ball into the box which Crane punched clear and the follow up went harmlessly wide. Rowe had a freekick well saved by George in the Corby Goal after Bailey-Nicholls was upended 25 yards out. on the Half hour mark though it was to be Corby who broke the deadlock when Diggin got behind Rowe and put a great ball into the box for Crawford to put past Crane to put the visitors 1 nil up, in the space of 2 minutes things went from bad to worse for the Greenbacks when a shot from Dean took a wicked deflection of Steele trying to block the shot and looped over Crane and sneaked just the right side of the post to double Corby’s lead within 2 minutes. The only chance of the last 15 minutes fell to Bedworth when Bailey-Nicholls drove forward laid the ball off the Steele whos shot was weak and easily collected by George in the Corby goal.

Half time Bedworth 0 Corby 2

With neither team making any substitutions at half time the first 15 minutes played out goalless with neither team really testing either keeper Bedworth had a couple of half chances but nothing really of note and Corby looked to be happy to sit on their lead and play the ball around when they had it. It was Corby though who furthered their lead after a good break down the right hand side saw Rowe upend his man to give Corby a free kick about 20 yards out. The free kick was struck sweetly by Duffy and with the Bedworth wall splitting the ball went past Cranes left hand to make the Score 3-0 with 2 minutes left. Bedworth responded by throwing caution to to the wind bringing on Chester, Pryce and Anaele Bedworth pushed forward but were leaving gaps at the back but Corby were thwarted by great tackles from both Dudley and Parrott to stop Corby breaking through one on one with Crane the one time Corby did get through Bedworth were saved by the linesmans flag, with 10 minutes to go Pryce picked the ball up and jinxed his marker to put the ball across the 6 yard box to find Piggon unmarked who blasted the ball past George into the Net to give Bedworth the slimmest of hope. Bedworth pushing forward won a number of corners and it was from one of these that the ball ended up loose at the back post and Pryce reacted first to poke the ball home from a yard out to make the score 3-2 to Corby with a minute left of normal time. With 4 minutes of added on time to go Bedworth were looking for the equaliser whilst every opportunity they got Corby were wasting time with a minute left on the clock Crane came up for a free kick which he narrowly missed heading but that was that the ref blew his whistle to put Corby top of the League and Bedworth 15th with The Greenbacks though having a game in hand over a lot of the teams above them.

Final Score: Bedworth United 2 – Corby Town 3

Team: Crane, Templeton (Chester), Steele (Anaele), Parrott (c), Dudley, Blackmore, Rowe, Bailey Nichols, Piggon, Troke (Pryce), Blythe.

Unused subs: Harrison,

Goal Scorers: Piggon, Pryce