Bedworth United v Coalville Match Report

Bedworth welcomed Coalville to The OVAL on possibly the wettest day of the year so far, with torrential rain driving in from the swimming pool end it was always going to be a difficult game.

Stuart Storer again went into the game with a few faces missing but this allowed him to start a couple of trialists with a few to come off the bench and stake their claim to a place in the squad for the coming season. The squad though was bolstered by the return of Mitch Piggon.

For the first ten minutes neither side really tested either keeper and it looked like players from both sides were feeling their way into the game especially with the surface being so slick with the rain.  Coalville had a couple of corners which were met by the head of Parrott with ease and Troke won the ball well in the middle of the pitch released Lewis Chester who found Piggon just inside the box with the angle ever getting smaller he shot a couple of yards over.

Then with 10 minutes played another corner for Coalville was again met by the head of Parrott with Dudley then clearing the second ball just into the Coalville half the Bedworth Trialist number 10 picked the ball up ran unopposed the length of the Coalville half rounded the keeper and put the ball into the empty net to give Bedworth a 1 nil lead. The goal was reminiscent of Torres famous champions league semi final goal against Barcelona, the only difference was we didn’t have Gary Nevilles goalgasm commentary. (For those of you unsure what I mean google it).

Bedworth lead was short lived when 12 minutes later the Coalville number 11 was allowed to run across the Bedworth back line just outside the box and finished well with a left foot shot past the helpless Harrison in the Bedworth goal.  This seemed to raise the Coalville spirits as they put more and more pressure onto the Bedworth defence, but it was Bedworth who had the better chances to go ahead with both Piggon and Chester having shots well saved by the Coalville keeper.

Then with 10 minutes of the Half left a ball into the box was not defended and the Coalville 11 got his head to it first to guide the ball past Harrison to make the score 2 -1 to the visitors the next 10 minutes before half time saw Coalville try to go in for the kill but a couple of Bobby Moore style tackles from Dudley and Parrott and a full length save from Harrison prevented Coalville from adding to their tally.

Half Time 2 – 1

With so many trialists on the bench Stu Storer was always going to change things around at half time and give them all a chance to shine so substitutions were a plenty in the second half.  Mitch Piggon was replaced early into the second half after going down heavily on his neck after being the meat in a Coalville sandwich and required lengthy treatment before being able to leave the pitch. Apart from a few shots from distance there wasn’t really much to report from the second half as it was quiet disjointed with substitutions and the weather certainly didn’t add to the atmosphere. I think the referee didn’t want to hang around in the rain as soon as the 90 minutes were up he blew his whistle with no injury time.

Final Score Bedworth 2 – 1 Coalville

Man of the Match


See what Andy Penny had to say after the game