Bedworth United v Barton Rovers Match Report

The old cliche a game of two halves definitely applied to this game.

Bedworth made one change from the team that drew with St Neots on Saturday with Blythe dropping to the bench to be replaced by Charlie McConnachie making his first competitive start for the Greenbacks.

Bedworth started the game much the better of the 2 sides with the slope in their favour they were getting a lot of joy with Piggon winning lots in the air and holding the ball up well and bringing others into play, this led to Bedworth getting a lot of crosses into the box with Piggon himself Troke and Parrott all having shots on target which were either deflected for corners or saved by Gould in the Barton goal. It was one of these moves that led to Bedworth breaking the deadlock at the 20 minute mark when the ball ended up out right with Rowe who’s cross was met unchallenged by the head of Piggon who guided the ball back the way it came past the keeper and into the net.

Even though Bedworth were pushing forward Barton were looking dangerous on the break and it was one such break that led to Barton equalising when a ball slipped into the left channel was picked up by Osobu who picked out Vincent in the box who calmly side footed it into the net.

Bedworth though went back on the attack and within 10 minutes were in the lead after Chester cut in from the right and played the ball to Parrott dead centre of goal just as he was about to pull the trigger he was brought down and a free kick was awarded. Both Troke and Rowe stood over the ball but it was Rowe who bent the ball round the wall with pace and power which beat Gould to his right in the Barton goal to restore Bedworth’s lead.

The Greenbacks went into half time 2 -1 in the lead and were unlucky that their lead wasn’t greater.

Barton started the second half much better than they had played all of the first and started to get a foothold in the game their equaliser came from a long ball Osobu beat the Bedworth offside trap  to go one on one with Harrison who closed the attacker down well and stood his ground and saved the initial shot well but the rebound fell to Vincent on the edge of the area who smashed the ball into the net despite the 2 Bedworth players on the line.

This seemed to lift Barton who went straight back on the attack testing Harrison again who saved well low to his right from Williams. It was though the dangerous Osobu who put Barton into the lead from a freekick deep in Bartons half Gould took it and hoisted it forward Bedworth didn’t deal with it and Osobu ran clear to loop a header over the advancing Harrison to put Barton in the lead for the first time in the match.  Things went from bad to worse then when Harrison was adjudged to have fouled a Barton player in the box, he came to punch another hopeful long ball clear. The Barton player went down easily held his head and the referee pointed to the spot and then booked Harrison. It looked a very soft decision especially as Harrison had come through his own player first to clear the ball. The Penalty was duly dispatched low and hard down to Harrisons right hand side.

Bedworth then threw on both Richard Blythe and Khaellem Bailey-Nichols to chase the game but unfortunately the damage had already been done and the game ended in the first defeat of the season for the Greenbacks.

Team Harrison, Dudley, Steel, Parrott, Sharpe, Fitzharris (Blythe), Chester, McConnachie, Piggon(Bailey-Nichols), Troke, Rowe.  Subs unused Blackmore, Templeton, Pryce

Goals Piggon,Rowe

Man of the Match Lewis Chester

Please see below for Jamie Lentons thoughts on the Game and the upcoming games against Halesowen.