BEDWORTH UNITED v Kidlington Report

Bedworth welcomed Kidlington to The OVAL in a game that both sides were desperate to get 3 points in Bedworth were looking to continue their rise up the league table after their normal poor start to the season and Kidlington were desperately looking for their first away point after 3 defeats on their travels so far this season.

Bedworth lined up with the same starting 11 that had ground out a well earned draw at Welwyn Garden City on Saturday.  Bedworth started by far the better of the 2 teams within 2 minutes the busy Blythe put Bailey-Nichols through but he was shepherded out of play before he could get a shot away.  Bailey-Nichols twice more had good chances to put the Greenbacks ahead once from a Piggon header and the second time after breaking the Kidlington offside trap but both times he blazed the ball over.  Bedworth were creating chances but failing to convert them.  With 10 minutes played The Kidlington Goalkeeper Nick Lacey went down after taking a goalkick and was in obvious pain, after a lengthy break in play which saw him replaced by outfield player Ben Willoughby the game restarted.  The break in play seemed to have affected the Bedworth players as from being on the front foot before the stoppage they allowed Kidlington to come more into the game, neither side looked like they were going to break the deadlock before half time as both teams final ball seemed to be missing, then if the final ball was good the shooting was a little erratic with neither Keeper having to produce a save. Then into first half injury time a mistake in the Kidlington defence was pounced on by Piggon and with his first real sight of goal he beat Willoghby to send Bedworth in at half time 1 to the good.

Half Time Bedworth United 1 Kidlington 0

The second half started with Kidlington forcing a succession of corners but Crane and the Bedworth defence never looked rattled, Blythe and Blackmore in the Heart of Bedworth’s Midfield were closing down quick and preventing Kidlington from playing.  It was from Blythe winning the ball in the midfield that Bedworth doubled their lead, he passed the ball to Troke who took aim from 30 yards out placed the ball low and hard to the keepers right just inside the post to make it 2-0.  Bailey-Nichols was doing well running the channels but just seemed to be missing that scoring touch he had against Wantage. Bedworth did manage to put the ball in the back of the net after a great one touch move but this time Piggon was denied by the Assistants flag.  Kidlington weren’t without their chances though they hit the post from a corner and Crane did well to save one on one against Howard.  Bedworth in the final 5 were looking to kill the game off instead of running the clock down they made it a little difficult for themselves going for that 3rd goal and nearly got caught after Preston and Parrott had a mix up between them but Parrott recovered in time to ensure that the game ended with a clean sheet for Bedworth.

Bedworth now have 7 points from their last 3 games and this win moves them up to 10th place in the league with 11 points after 9 played

Final Score: Bedworth United 2 v Kidlington 0

Team: Crane, Templeton (Chester), Rowe, Parrott (c), Dudley (Preston), Punter, Troke, Blythe, Piggon (Pryce), Bailey-Nicholls, Blackmore.

Unused subs: Harrison, Steele

Goal Scorers: Piggon,Troke

See what Jamie Lenton had to say after the game (Names on a postcard if you spot the deliberate mistake)